Unlocking the key

Hello and welcome back to the Dorchester Middle School Blog!

I hope that you have all had a good week? 

With the annoucement this week of Dorset being in Tier Two from next week, I am sure that you have, like me,  been working out what you can and can't do over the next few weeks including the all important Christmas period. It has certainly made my all ready full brain ache! 

I hope that you can make things work for you and your family without too many complications and logistic jiggling.

Although we're not quite into December at the time of writing,  I know that a lot of you are getting ready for the festive season which is admiral. I will stay firmly in denial for a few more days which is quite tricky when you have a very excited 13 year old on your hands! Along with last New Year's Resolution of not buying ANY new clothes this year (that was good timing!), I have vowed to do to all of my Christmas Shopping in Blandford so wish me luck on that one!

Anyway, enough of my ramblings, I shall crack on with the Blog! 


Worth a Mention Children

Huge congtaulations to all of the fabulous children who made it on to the Worth a Mention Boards this week.

Let's start with Year Six this week.



A massive 'thank you' to the fabulous Miss Sharpe for taking these pictures for me. 

Now for the turn of Year Five.







Thank you to the wonderful Miss Easton for taking these pictures.

Well done everyone - what a fantastic achievement!

I can't wait to see who is going to the on the boards next week...

Handwashing


This week, I needed to speak to Year Five and Six about the importance of handwashing. A minority of children think that either it doesn't apply to them and that it's optional or even that running your hands under a sink for five seconds will do the job! 

As they are primary age children, hand washing is the most effective way to kill any germs and to stop the spread of any nasties.

Key Stage Three children use handsanitizer on entry and exit of the school building because of their age.

I am hoping that the message has been received and understood!


Equipment


Just a quick reminder that children need to be fully equiped, ready for their lessons. We have had quite a few children without handwriting pens recently and although we are very happy to dontate pens, we only have a finite supply of them in school.

It might be worth doing a 'stock check' from time to time, just to make sure your child has everything they need.


Your PTFA needs you!

On Monday, letters will be coming home along with books of Grand Draw tickets for you to have the opportunity to enter the PTFA Christmas Draw.

There are some excellent prizes so it's well worth entering!


Christmas Gift Ideas?


As you may, or may not know, this year I am teaching English in just Year Five and am absolutely loving it.

Unfortunately, not all of the children have access to a dictionary and/or thesaurus so it would be a rather good addition to their learning toolkit. 

Just a thought...


Year Six Superstar Readers

A HUGE well done to all of the Year Six children who were awarded with their Reading Stripes during our Virtual Assembly on Wednesday. 

I can't wait to see the stripes sewn on, ready to show off, in next week's Blog.

I would like to personally apologise to those who have to sew the stripes on - especially to the designated sewer for one particular young lady in 6TH who had 275 reads in the bag!

I hope that this has inspired and encouraged the children to get their reads signed in. We will be doing another Reading Stripes Asembly in a few weeks so get reading!


Your Wellbeing

We all need busy lives, there is no doubt about that, so sometimes we lose sight of the important things of life. Our wellbeing should be at the top of the list but unfortunately, this isn't always the case.

What have I done? Well, I connected with my daughter by being active and going for a couple of walks with her this week as well as taking notice of what she was saying and giving her a Percy Pig Advent Caledar. I did a lot of learning on Friday as I completed an online course about Children's Mental Health and Wellbeing. You see, we can do it without even noticing!

Don't forget to look after your wellbeing - you are so important. 
Please don't ever forget that.



Well, that's it for this week. I hope that you have a good week and that you enjoy the lifting of the lockdown when it finally gets here.

See you next week!

Mrs Ray

(who can never resist a cute bunny picture. This is me with Beryl - are you feeling the love I have for him?!)





Comments