Children are our future

 Hello and welcome back to the Dorchester Middle School Blog!

Good week? OK week? Rubbish week?

They're all starting to feel the same aren't they?

We've had another hectic week in school with the main focus on moving towards delivering live lessons which are exciting as they are daunting. 

What has been lovely though, is the empathy and patience that you have shown whilst we experiment, refine and learn from what we are doing. It's like what I said last week, every day really is a learning day!

Let's see what has been going on and what's coming up at the awesome Dorchester Middle School...


He's back!

Your fabulous teachers are, as you know, working extremely hard to make sure to ensure that the children at home and the children at school are learning as well as they can.

I teach Year Five on Tuesdays and Wednesdays and this week, I decided to bring a special friend with me to help me with my grammar teaching. 

Yes, you've got it, Pete the Penguin has returned! 


Mrs Travers challenged 5D to spell 'penguin' correctly. She even got the dictionary out to help!
 

He tried his best but it took three goes!


Gabi took a bit of a shine to Pete and I think he was rather taken with her!


When the children were working, he kept a close eye on them.


Mrs Whiting was pleased to meet Pete and I think the feeling was mutual.

I don't think simple sentences will ever be the same again!


Assemblies

It has been lovely seeing you in the virtual assemblies that we have been running. I know that some of you have been disappointed when you've not been able to access the meetings on Teams. You can only join the meeting via your school email account so please do check your emails so you have the link.



The theme of this week's assemblies was 'Kindness' and I hope that you have all been showing kindness this week to those around you.


Miss Clements ran her live Key Stage Three assembly on Friday. It was extremely smooth and slick and it was great to see some of her children too. Mrs Hammonds focused on the chat box and it was good to see that the children were sensible with the things that they posted. 

We are always very happy for you to say 'Hello' to each other and to respond to any questions that are asked in the assembly but sadly, a few children spoil it for everyone else. 
Please make sure that you adhere to the Code of Conduct that was sent to you last week.



I watched Miss Clements in awe and wonder with the hope that my assemblies will be as good as hers next week.


Sharing is caring

Look what I spied in Year Six on Friday morning. One of the children in 6 Mistover had brought in a book that turned into a train set. 

How clever!


Getting Creative

Last week, I spied some of the Year Five children making Friendship Bracelets and Dream Catchers and this week, I spotted Year Six doing the same.








I can't wait to see the finished products.



Storytime with Mr Haigh

Whilst I was admiring the creativity of Year Six, I heard the dulcet tones of Mr Haigh coming from Room Six. He was reading the children a story and they were mesmerised to say the least.


Lucky 6 Durnover!


Uniform and Equipment

If you are attending school, please make sure that you are wearing the correct uniform. I have noticed a few missing ties, trainer socks and trainers creeping in!

Also, please make sure that you are equipped for your lessons. We are happy to help out from time to time but we only have a finite supply.


Five Ways to Wellbeing

It's hard to believe that this time last week, we had snow in Blandford! 
I thought I would share some of my pictures. My favourite picture is that of the grumpy bunny who was not impressed with the what he saw before him. 



Elsie and I went out for a run/walk/moan/whinge so that we got ACTIVE, we CONNECTED with each other and TOOK NOTICE of the amazing views. 


Our Staff Wellbeing and Happiness Group (SWaHG) continue to make Bacon Rolls for hte staff on a weekly basis before school. Mrs Whiting got this great picture of the duty staff enjoying their bacon rolls. 


We love GIVING to our staff and have LEARNT the fine art of how to make a decent bacon roll - we have an excellent system in place!

What have YOU been doing this week towards your wellbeing? 

Please let me know by sending me pictures and a brief explanation to:
fray01@dmsschool.co.uk

I will endeavour to put you on next week's Blog.


Children's Mental Health Week

Hopefully, you have received my letter about next week's Children's Mental Health Week. Do not worry if you don't have it - you see a copy of it on the school website. 


In school, we are ready to express ourselves.


If you are at home, please do have a go at one or two of the activities or maybe you could do some of your own? 

Don't forget to get active as that is so incredibly good for your mental health. Mr Roberts has put some excellent suggestions on Google Classroom, I like his shuttle runs!

Walking the dog is a great activity isn't it? I know that a lot of you have been doing that this Lock Down.

I would love to know what you do to mark this very special and very important week.

Personally, I am looking forward to Friday's Dress to Express Day. I know that many members of staff are going to take part so I hope that this extends to everyone.
 

I can't wait to see the pictures!


Well, that's it for this week. I hope you have a good week next week and that you don't forget to look after your Mental Health and Wellbeing.

Mrs Ray

(who has been very lazy this week when it has come to running. I must go on Sunday as I have foolishly agreed to take part in a virtual 5km relay for the school. Sigh.)




Comments