Every day's a Learning Day!

Hello and welcome back to the Dorchester Middle School Blog!


How is everybody? 

Are you all keeping safe and well?

Well, we have survived virtually three weeks of Lock Down (do you like what I did there?) but it looks as though this might just be a drop in the ocean at this moment in time. Who knows how this is going to pan out?

I know that everyone, and I mean everyone, is working incredibly hard and it is so appreciated. If you are working at home, please don't forget that we are still here for you. You may be out of sight but you are certainly not out of mind. We think about you all the time.

If you are struggling with your learning at home, for whatever reason, please, please, please get in touch with us. Your subject teachers are monitoring their Google Classrooms on a regular basis so either send them a message or ask your parents/carers to send them an email.

Remember - we're all in this together!

Right, lecture over, on with the Blog!


Busy, busy!

Regardless if you are home or school (or both!), I can imagine that your days are pretty full. There is so much for us all to be getting on with isn't there?

Our Home Schoolers are constantly in our thoughts along with their hard working and supportive families. This week, I received some lovely pictures of what a few of you have been getting up to at home.

Joey and his brother Daniel have been learning about conjunctions and have been working hard on all of their subjects.


Amelie made this gorgeous looking cake as part of her Food Tech work. My mouth is watering just looking at the picture!

Gracie has been learning about the Solar System and has cleverly painted a picture of the planets that she has been learning about. 

Seeing your pictures has made feel so more connected to you and what you are doing.
Please keep them coming!
Email your pictures (with a brief explanation) to:
fray01@dmsschool.co.uk


Key Stage Assemblies

This week was a first for Miss Clements and I as we held our first ever 'live' Key Stage Assemblies! 
It was a bit of a steep learning curve I can tell you!

I am so sorry if you didn't get on to the Key Stage Two assembly on Monday - I wasn't expecting so many of you! It was great to re-run the assembly the next day where I got to chat to a few of you about what you were doing towards your Mental Health and Wellbeing. 

This is what it looked like behind the scenes... 


Miss Clements did her assembly on Friday and it was fabulous to see so many familiar faces. I did take a picture of Miss Clements delivering the assembly but I have cleverly left my camera in school. I will put it up here next week so you too, can visualise the assembly from her side of the laptop!

The message from both assemblies was the same - making sure you know your Five Ways to Wellbeing. 

Last week's assemblies were an experiement and it's the same next week. As there was such a HUGE turnout on Monday, I am going to use Teams this week and will do one Year Group at a time. 

Year Five, you should have already had your invite and I will 'see' you on Monday at 2pm.

Year Six, I will send your invites out on Monday for an assembly on Wednesday at 2pm.

You will only be able to access the assembly via your school email address.

You can get to your school email by:
1.  Loading the DMS website:
www.dorchestermid.dorset.sch.uk.
2. Click on 'Key Information'.
3. Now click on 'DMS Email'.
4. Your email address is in your Home School Diary and should start with 20.

If you are in school on that day then your teacher will access the assembly so that you can still be part of it.

Let's see how this goes...


The Five Ways to Wellbeing

If you ever forget the Five Ways to Wellbeing, they can be found in your Home School Diaires.


It was great to hear what so many of you were doing - pets and going for walks were very popular answers and quite rightly so.

This week I have continued to give the bunnies lots of love in the hope that they love me as much I love them (yeah, right!), connected with my daughter when we both worked from home on Thursday, got active by getting the said reluctant thirteen year old to come out for a run/walk/moan/whinge and took notice by looking at the incredible flooding and learnt that Zoom will only allow 100 people on to a meeting at a time!




What have YOU done this week?


Smell the bacon!

At Dorchester Middle School, we have created a Staff Wellbeing and Happiness Group (SWaHG). We set up this group a couple of months ago and clearly, our timing couldn't have been better!

One of the things we have been doing is making bacon rolls for our staff once a week. The smell of bacon wafting down the corridors has been a joy to behold! 


I just want to say a huge 'Thank You' to SWaGH - you are amazing!


Creativity at it's best!

On Friday, I was walking down the Year Five Corridor (like you do!) when I came across 5 Casterbridge having their Tech lesson with Mr Duffy. I'll be honest, he did look a little flustered!







All sorts of wonderful things were going on. I am looking forward to seeing the finished results!


Testing, testing 1, 2, 3


Well, you'll be pleased to know that I came out of my Covid Test relatively unscathed! 

Last week, I metioned how fantastically organised the testing was in the school and this has continued throughout the week. Ms Bullick was my 'tester' and she was brilliant. She could see that I was feeling anxious but was incredibly reassuring and successfully guided me through the process. 

Job done, negative result, ready for the next one!


...and finally

We have a celebrity in our midst!

Our rather fabulous Isla in 5MR was on ITV's Meridian News last night.


Her message was loud and clear - when you wear disposable face masks, make sure you get rid of them responsibly. 
For those of you who saw it, it was an excellent item wasn't it?
I can't begin to tell you how proud we are of her.  
Now, where's my autograph book...


Well, that's it for another week. I hope you all have a good week and that I get to see lots of you at next week's virtual assemblies.

Take care, stay safe and please look after yourselves,

Mrs Ray

(who has stupidly agreed to take part in a staff 5km relay next weekend. Why did I say 'yes'? Why?!)

Comments