Finding our feet

 Hello and welcome back to the Dorchester Middle School Blog!

Well, how are YOU? Are you all OK? 

How was your full week of learning under our current situation? 

In school, it feels like business as usual but with fewer classes. The playground is still noisy and fun but it also feels quite empty!

The school itself also feels quite empty as certain teachers are in on certain days. Working from home is great but it's also hard work so we do understand what it is like. Sometimes it's hard to know where the day starts and ends isn't it?

We have also started the COVID testing process in school. I am due to have my test on Tuesday (Mr Murray and I have booked the same time slot so we can support each other!) so that is a huge step in the right direction. I was so impressed with how well organised the whole process was in school - they have absolutely nailed it. 

I'll let you know how it goes. 

I shall cease with my ramblings and continue with this week's Blog.


Keep on Learning

So, for those of you who are at home, how are you getting on with your Home Learning?

 Remember that you need to access all of the subjects in your Google Classrooms and not pick and choose, if that makes sense?

Also, you MUST remember to turn in the work you have completed otherwise we won't know if you have done it or not. 

If you are completing the work on paper, that's absolutely fine but we do need to know that's what you're doing so use the Comments to keep in touch with your teachers. 

I have loved receiving photographs of the work that has been completed on paper - keep them coming!

Here are some examples of the PSHCEE work that has been completed in Year Five:


We totally understand that, at times, the amount of work that you have been set might seem overwhelming. 
We also understand that you will not always be able to follow the recommnedation of keeping to your school timetable, especially if you have to share devices, your parents are working from home etc. 
Try and prioritise the core subjects (Maths, English and Science) as a starting point. 

As a school, we are monitoring how everyone is getting on as far as engaging with their learning is concerned. If there are any problems, please do not hesitate to contact your teachers. We are here for you and are just at the end of an email, comment box or telephone if and when you need us.


Emails from teachers

Talking of being there for you - please check your emails as your Homebase Tutors will be in touch to see how you are. 

Like I just said, if there are any problems or issues or you just want to say hello, please do email them back as they will be pleased to hear from you.


Five Ways to Wellbeing

I know I keep banging on about how important our Mental Health and Wellbeing is but I won't be silenced I'm afraid!

Following on from last week's Blog, I received these fabulous picture from Callum in 6PC's Mum.


Here you can see Callum being ACTIVE, CONNECTing with nature, GIVING his time to helping his parents in the garden, LEARNING how to look after the garden and TAKING NOTICE of his surroundings. 
See, it's so easy to do isn't it?

Look at what Miss Easton spotted on her walk at the weekend:

This was the local buzzard was mobbed by a rook and two seagulls. An incredible sight!

These are a couple of things that I did towards my Wellbeing this weekend...




The Zoom call is with a few members of my family including my Dad, brother and sister. We do a family quiz every Saturday night and have done so since March. 

I went for a run with my friend Hannah. She is a teacher too so it was an extremely cathartic therapy session!

What have YOU been doing towards your Wellbeing? 
Keep the pictures coming and I'll include them on next week's Blog!

5CWT reunite!

On Thursday, Mrs Whiting held her first Homebase Assembly with her class. The children at home were able to show off their pets which was so lovely to see. Those children who were at school brought in pictures of their pets.





Thomas with Tony the Pony


It was lovely to 'see' everyone. The virtual Homebase Assembly is something we are hoping to roll out to as a school so watch this space!


Key Stage Two Assembly

Many of you in Key Stage Two will know that I will holding my first virtual Key Stage Two Assembly this Monday. Details will be emailed out to parents on Monday morning. The children in school will also be accessing it.

The assembly is due to start at 2.10pm and it is very important that, if you are accessing the assembly from home, you have another adult in the room with you at the beginning of the assembly. 

As I am not sure how many of you will be attending, please make sure that you are on mute unless I ask you to unmute yourself.

This will be, to begin with, a one-off assembly as we may well use a diffferent platform in the future. However, both Miss Clements and I will be leading Key Stage Assemblies for the duration.

I'm already feeling very nervous about tomorrow so make sure that you all smile at me if and when you are on screen!


Well, that's it for another week. I hope that you all have a good week and that I get to see a few more of you either virtually or in person.

Take care everyone, stay safe and keeeeeeeeep learning!

Mrs Ray

(who was rather taken by Ivy's new hat. It's fabulous isn't it? You can operate the ears by pressing the paws on the scarf bit. I'm thinking about ordering one, what do you think?!)



Comments