It's May you say?

 Hello and welcome back to the Dorchester Middle School Blog!

Was that really a four day week? I could swear that it felt so much longer! I don't think our feet touched the ground for those few days did they? It was lovely to see everyone again especially after that bonus day.

Things are stepping up a gear with our Transition plans for the new recruits joining us in September. After having to do pretty much everything virtually last year, it's been lovely to be able to factor in face to face visits. 

If you have a child who will be joining us in September, please be assured that our plans are being shared with the Headteachers of the First Schools and our initial transition meetings are in the process of being arranged. 

So, we may have had a four day week but my goodness me, we know how to pack it all in so let's see what's been happening this week...


Back of the net!

Our return to school on Tuesday was very exciting as the children had the opportunity to 'meet' the very lovely author Matt Oldfield. Although he primarily writes about football and footballers (he worked out that he has written 57 books over a six year period), it was fascinating to hear about how he goes about writing them from his initial research to the final product.



In Year Five, we have been writing stories based on Beowulf so it was very interesting to hear how Matt enjoys the editing process so much. He is always striving to make sure that his stories are the absolute best that they can be which is why editing is such a crucial part of the process. 

I wonder if he uses a purple pen?!


Stunning!

Whilst in the Year Five corridor this week, these two beautiful pictures caught my eye and I had to share them with you! They were on the 5AD display board - aren't they gorgeous?


 
A new recruit?

The school seems to have acquired a cat! Although the cat is very friendly, it has caused quite a bit of chaos, especially in the mornings when the Year Six children are meant to be lining up!


From what I've heard from other members of staff and the children, our feline friend doesn't seem to have any boundaries and has been seen trying to join in with various lessons!


Can you work this out?


This week, in our English lessons, we have been working on the fine art of description and exploring various ways that we can do this. I wrote this 'formula' on the board at the beginning of a couple of my lessons this week to see if the children could work out what we would be learning about.

Can you work it out?


Worth a Mention Children

Huge congratulations and lots and lots of 'well dones' to the children whose names appeared on our Key Stage Two WAM boards this week.

Let's start with the fabulous Year Sixes :




Now it's the turn of the terrific Year Fives:






I am so proud of you all!


Something to strive towards?

A couple of weeks ago, I mentioned about how the children needed to have the correct equipment in school and that we only have a finite amount of supplies in school.


Look how organised April is! 
I think I have got desk envy.


Haven't they grown?

Our tadpoles are coming along very nicely aren't they? On closer inspection, you can see their legs forming and they are very active indeed.


Not long now until these 'babies' will be all grown up and ready for the next stage of their journey - the pond!


Mental Health Awareness Week

Next week is Mental  Health Awareness Week. Personally, I have been letting my 'Five Ways to Wellbeing' slip somewhat so this week (and weekend) I have tried to get back on track.

So, what I have done?

Well, I CONNECTED with a couple of members of the Staff Wellbeing and Happiness Group (SWaHG) and kept ACTIVE by conducting our meeting as part of a walk. You can see from the picture that we brought Mrs Whiting's dog, Max, with us. We all managed to GIVE when we were out on our walk/meeting as we helped out someone who needed our assistance (and who was totally lovely). During our meeting, I was able to LEARN a few things that I didn't know and that the Pavillion in the Park serves up a mean Dorset Apple Cake!



I took this picture of one of our saplings. It's the tree that was planted to remember Miss Dearden and I hadn't really taken much NOTICE of it but it caught my eye. I think it must have been the gorgeous blossoms that captured my attention.


On the theme of nature, I went for a beautiful (and rather soggy walk) with my friend Zoe and we came across these mighty fine bovines.  



Giving

As one of the Five Ways to Wellbeing is giving, there is is still time to sponsor our amazing Mr Roberts for his incredible London to Brighton Ultra Marathon Challenge which is being held on 29th May.


Mr Roberts is raising money for Target Ovarian Cancer and has a Just Giving Page set up, ready for your donations.

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/matt-roberts23target?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=fundraising&utm_content=matt-roberts23target&utm_campaign=pfp-share&utm_term=83b186da3fda4438ac3c74dcd263ec31&fbclid=IwAR2BRolkUYPmZyaYV9PUz07UznjDdbSZI6ipj3XhT5et6Cy91NzJRIkrgzw

Every penny raised will go to an excellent charity that is close to many people's hearts.

Thank you.


Well, that's it for this week. I hope you all have a good week and I will look forward to 'seeing' you back here in a few days time.

Mrs Ray

(who actually went for a run, the first time in two weeks, with this fabulous bunch. Many Mental Health boxes were ticked this morning!)




Comments