Creative!

Hello and welcome back to the Dorchester Middle School Blog.

Another week where, without doubt, my cup really did over-floweth! 
Did you have as similar one? 

I've been a very busy bee and have been buzzing about Children's Mental Health Week (did you see what I did there?). I am excited and nervous about it all at the same time! 
Just one thing though, why is it the tasks that you think are the simplest end up being the most complicated? 
Who knows?
Answers on a postcard please.

Anyway, enough of the Ray Ramblings and on with the Blog...

Mindblowing

I was on my way back to the Pastoral Base, having taken pictures of the Worth a Mention Boards, when I came across these absolutely stunning pictures. My photographs don't do them justice but they are incredible.



All year groups were represented in these smashing displays. I can totally see why Ms Pluck wanted them on the boards outside her office.


They keep rolling in...

Thank you so much for continuing to donate your unwanted games to us. All the fabulous games that we have received so far have already been played with and enjoyed by so many children.

This week, Vida and Robyn came up to The Hub with their contributions.




We are so lucky - thank you. We are still happy to receive a few more... 


I have a dream

This half term in Humanities, we are studying Theology and Ethics (previously known as RE to you and me). 

We are looking at inspirational people in Year Six and Martin Luther King Jr in one of them. The children have been asked to write their own version of Martin Luther King Jr's iconic speech 'I have a dream'.

Well, I listened to Zander's in 6PC and it was absolutely brilliant.


I can't wait to do this with 6JH.
 

Show and Tell

Sometimes, it's really handy to remember to carry around a camera with you, especially at Homebase Assembly times.

I spied 5MW's 'Show and Tell' which involved the most enormous (working) pencil that I have ever seen and an incredibly impressive collection of what I can only describe as deceased and preserved bugs.


I loved how animated the children were when they shared their treasures but, more importantly, how genuinely interested their classmates were in what had been brought in.

Well done 5MW.


Delving into English

Mrs Sprules, who is our new English Faculty Lead, completed a 'Dynamic Book Scrutiny' with a few chosen members of 6PC this week. 

She asked the children to bring along their English Books and questioned them about their learning. Not only were they more than happy to tell her all about their learning, they also showed her examples of what they have enjoyed as well as areas that they need to improve on.

It was an incredibly powerful and humbling experience.


We're going on a word hunt

Still on the subject of English (I'm sorry but I do rather love it!), 5MW had to go on a persuasive techniques hunt. They had to work in teams to find out the definitions of specific words and report back to their team mates.

I was a real meanie and didn't allow them to write anything down that they had to report back - they had to remember and retell the information. They were hilarious and brilliant all at the same time!





Worth a Mention Children

HUGE congratulations to this week's Worth a Mention Children! I always knew that you are an incredible group of children but I don't always know how incredibly incredible you truly are!
(Did that make sense?)

Let's start with Year Six...




This is last week's board from Year Five... 


...and here are the Year Five children for this week!





Incredible!


More creativity...

Not only did I spy fabulous examples of art work on the Headteacher's WAM boards, I also spied them in 5KD. Rosie and Aiden are fantastic aren't they? 

 

Mr Duffy, you are clearly an inspiration!


Children's Mental Health Week


It's not long now until Children's Mental Health Week and I am in the process of finishing the plans for the Drop Down Day on Monday 7th February.

Please don't forget that we are holding an 'Express Yourself' Non Uniform Day on Friday 11th February where the £1 that is donated for not wearing uniform will go to Dorset Mind.

Letters about the Parkrun event went home on Friday. If you did not receive this letter, it is available on the school website: 
There are a few things that are worth highlighting:

1. Don't forget to get a barcode and to bring it on the day
2. Please try and get as much sponsorship as possible.
3. Please wear your Games/PE top on the day so that Team DMS really stands out!



Well, that's it for this week. I hope you have a terrific week and I look forward to seeing you back here next week.

Mrs Ray

(who has been in training for the 'DMS does Parkrun' event with a little help from her friends!)








Comments