I'm back!!

Hello and welcome back to the very overdue Key Stage Two Blog!

At last! Did you miss me? Well, as you may or may not know, I am back at school following some pretty major surgery so many apologies for the lack of a Blog for such a long time. Coming back following a long absence is quite a surreal experience - I missed everyone so much but I knew I had to be sensible and come back when I was ready - how grown up is that? Also, a lot has changed and some things haven't changed at all! One of the very exciting things that has happened is our new Facebook Page and Twitter account. As a result of this, my Blog will now be monthly/half termly otherwise you are going to be bombarded with things to look at and read which will be exhausting and frustrating in equal measure.

Anyway enough of my witterings (or should that be twitterings?!) so let's crack on with the Blog...

Snow?

OK, so we haven't had the snow that we have been expecting but 6M have been having a go at recreating it in an educational yet fun way! This was an idea from the inspirational Mrs James. The 'snowballs' had to be chucked around the classroom and when this was done, they had to get a 'snowball' each and find the other relevant pieces of paper. Each 'snowball' contained a feature of a poem, the explanation of that feature and then an example. 

















It was brilliant! The children got there, eventually. Well done 6M, I knew you would crack it in the end!


Golden Time

One of the things that has shocked/surprised and disappointed me in equal measure is the number of children who are missing their Golden Time on a regular basis. Last week, we had a record-breaking 41 children miss their bonus time which was such a shame!

Last year, the children had to do FIVE reads but this year we are expecting only THREE. Each read MUST be signed by an adult - I have noticed in the English groups that I teach that many children are not getting this done. Eeek!

The poster from last year...

I shall do a full refresher course on 'How to get your Golden Time' in my assemblies over the next couple of weeks!


World Book Day

Image result for world book day 2020
Is it that time of year already? As in previous years, we would love it if you dress up as one of your favourite book characters. I'm contemplating what to wear as I type!

As well as marking World Book Day on the 5th March, as mentioned in the recent Newsletter, we will be welcoming the Scholastic Book Fair into school from 26th February to 3rd March. I love the Book Fair for the terrific range of books that are available to buy but I also love the fact that we have the opportunity to expand our library collection which is just fabulous.

 Please do come along and support the Book Fair - more information will come out nearer the time.


Poetry Slam

To continue the poetry theme, the Year Five children did a brilliant job with their recent homework to choose and learn a poem off by heart. Finalists were chosen and the actual final was held during assembly time on the last day of the half term.

I invited back Daniel from 6KD as he was last year's winner and I knew he would make a brilliant judge.

Our esteemed judges - Miss Randall, Daniel and Mr Haigh






A self penned poem from Reece in 5BL

A brave Harry from 5BL performing his poem to the year group.

Our finalists with Head Judge Daniel

These fabulous children learnt their chosen poems off by heart!

Our Head of English Mr Murray along with our winner Olivia from 5TH.

I was so impressed with everyone who got up in front of 150 children and performed a poem. There were a couple of children who are going to perform in assemblies after half term so I shall look forward to that!

Well done to EVERYONE who learnt and performed a poem regardless if it was in front of their class or their year group - you are superstars!


Facebook and Twitter

As mentioned in my introduction, DMS has embraced social media which is rather exciting!

Facebook:

Image result for facebook logo
Dorchester Middle School - DMS

Twitter:
Image result for twitter logo

Dorchester Middle School @DorchMiddle

Please do 'like' and keep up to date with what is going on in our brilliant school.


Parent Consultation Evenings

As you will hopefully know, the parents of our Year Five children have got the opportunity to meet with their children's subject teachers on Monday 2nd March (4pm - 6pm) and Wednesday 4th March (5pm - 7pm). 

Letters came home before half term and appointment making has been fast and furious!

Please don't panic if you haven't made appointments yet - there will still be the opportunity to do so next week. However, please be patient if you have big gaps between appointments. The teachers can only book appointments with what they have available.

As I missed the recent Year Six Parent Consultation Evenings, I will be offering the parents of my 6M English group the opportunity to see me on Tuesday 17th March 3.45pm - 6.15pm

Letters and appointment slips will be coming out after half term.


Miss Dearden





This amazing lady was and always be in our hearts and minds. Her passing is a real loss to our school but I know that we are going to do our absolute best to do her proud on so many levels.

In Year Five, my English groups have been writing poetry that is personal to them and one of the things they had to think of was something that someone has said to them that has stuck with them. 

'Everything is Possible' has cropped up time and time again. When I questioned the children, they told me that this was Miss Dearden used to say to them.

No words needed.



Well, that's it for a little while. I will make sure that you are kept up to date with all things Key Stage Two via the new Facebook page and Twitter. Our 'Worth a Mention' children will appear via social media on a weekly basis. I think I am going to be allowed to be 'admin' so I better make sure that I upload the correct pictures!

See you soon-ish!

Mrs Ray

(who is trying to get back into this whole running malarkey but my word it's a right old slog at the moment!)

Image may contain: 3 people, people standing and outdoor


Comments